Who we are

Morgan: Short. Freckles. Sarcastic. Clumsy. Realist. Reader. Student. Pastels. Soda addict (Dr. Pepper specifically). Dog Lover
Courtney: Shorter. Curls. Sassy. Independent. Romantic. Puppy Travel Agent. Weird. Neons and Earth Tones. Cat Lover. Future Soccer Mom.
Our Blog: Letters. Love. Long Distance. Besties. Videos. Quotes. Humor. Giggles. Adventures. Boyfriends. Mavericks. Work. School. God. Food. Everyday. Chaos. Peace. Family. Futures. Pasts. Accidents. Achievements. Opinions. Lessons Learned.

Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: Stuff That Was Done


Dearest MorganFaceofaFreckledAngel,

In March of 2012, I started a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days with my sister, her list is different of course. 1001 days is about 3 years and 9 months. With 2014 starting in mere hours, I thought I would review the items I was able to accomplish in 2013. I would not say I’m super far along in my list, actually I’m not even half way done. So, that December 1st deadline in 2014 is going to come pretty quick. There were some things I did not accomplish in 2013 that I can no longer attempt. For instance, I wanted to graduate Cum Laude. I was one A from doing so. But I think the true intention behind that goal was more of a challenge to exert effort than anything else. I didn’t really try my last year of college, so I put this on the list to push myself to try a little harder. I think I did, although, I wouldn’t say I gave that final semester science class my best. So, there’s that. But anyway, here are a few of the things I finished with a brief explanation.

1.    #55: In 2013, I went to a Country Music Concert. This is quite a big deal, because I really do not like country music. I find it to be annoying. Which is annoying to everyone in my life because it seems I have surrounded myself with country-loving weirdos. I guess I like weird thought, so it comes together. Back to the point, I went to this concert. I put it on my list for a number of reasons. First, I want to be the kind of person that goes out of her way to try stuff that is not already my favorite. Second, I want to be the kind of person that does stuff with her friends. Third, I want to be the kind of person that says yes to stuff. Trust me, I know I just used the word ‘stuff’ where others would fit, but I just think it’s basic. I want to try stuff, does stuff and says yes to stuff, whatever that stuff might be. So when my friends decided they wanted to see an up-and-coming country artist play at a local theater, I said yes. Additionally, I love live music and I had never been to this venue, it was the perfect thing to say yes to. So I did! And guess what, I liked it. I danced and sang to the songs I knew, it was super fun. I think there are pictures of this evening, but they disappeared. Instead, this is my fav countrysong, but who doesn’t love it really

2.    #61: Just recently, I stopped drinking pop (also known as soda and coke). After consuming massive amounts of the fizzy substance this summer, I figured it was time to lay it to rest. Upon returning to South Carolina, I quit cold turkey. At one point in life, I had a caffeine-induced cyst. Since then, I’ve tried, unsuccessfully of course, to consume less caffeine and specifically less sugary pop. It’s just not a healthy habit for me. While Diet Coke has to be one of the beverages certainly to be featured in Heaven, I didn’t think 32 ounces a day was a good maneuver, especially if I want to be cyst-free. Many of the items on the list are related to living a healthier life, because, while I don’t struggle with the size of my pants or the amount of chocolate I consume, I want to lead this life for a while and I’d like to have the energy to  accomplish all the things on my list(s). So bye-bye pop, see you in Heaven.

3.    #10: In 2013, I was the maid of honor at my sister’s wedding. This is important, because I think it was the first and last time I will serve in this role. And you know what, I’m totally fine with that. While I loved planning the parties and showering my sister with affection and compliments, it was really hard. I would love to be the MOH for any of the beautiful women in my life, but I’m just happy to be a part of their day. I’d like to be the kind of friend that is more concerned about the longevity of the marriage than my place in the bridal party. I’ve gotten to witness some truly beautiful love stories in my life and if I can continue to witness them, it doesn’t matter to me if I ever get to be a MOH again. But, just in case it’s in your mind, I am a terrific speech-giver.


4.    #83, #5, #25 (1 of 10), #80, #88, #89, #91: These are all of the items on my list I accomplished with CIY. It’s unbelievable how many more I think we could have done, but man am I proud of the 7 I achieved with MoCrank5.

  #5. Visit states I’ve never been to: New Mexico, Arizona, Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee. I want to be the kind of person that goes places in the US and appreciates this beautiful country. I especially want to be that kind of parent, one who takes their kids to Montana, just so they can see how different life is there. Visiting new states will be a continued goal of mine, until I hit all the states, and then I’ll probably start with the major cities in the US.

  #25. Read 10 inspiring Christian books: We started the summer by reading “Love Does” from which I continue to learn. I’m not the greatest reader. I actually dislike reading. (See the above point regarding doing things that I don’t already love) But I know reading is good for my brain and the best way to learn, which I happen to be found of. So every once in a while, I turn off the tube and read a little. I loved everything about this book, from the style of story-telling Bob Goff uses, to the chapter about saying yes, to the way he describes being engage with life. I think I learned how to be a better person from that book, which is why #25 is on my list. I want to be able to learn from people that I don’t know, but have written why they know.
"Being engaged is a way of doing life, a way of living and loving. It's about going to extremes and expressing the bright hope that life offers, hope that makes us brave and expels darkness with light. That's what I want my life to be all about-full of abandon, whimsy and in love. I want to be engaged to life and with life." -Bob Goff

  #80. Go to a Christian Conference: Like, duh, I went to 7. I want to be the kind of person that experiences ‘church’, as in the body of believers, outside of my own ‘church’, the meeting I attend each week. Conferences take place everywhere and for every kind of reason, I’d like to see as many of them as I can.

  #83. Use a disposable camera to capture an awesome day: Everyone hated it at the time, but it was amazeballs. I like being random and doing weird things to break down those cool walls we put up. Nothing says I’m a little bit loser like using a disposable camera at the Grand Canyon.


  #88. Road trip to St. Louis: On my way to Jomo, from SC, I stopped in St. Louis to visit a dear friend of mine. I’d like to make it a habit to visit my friends when I get the opportunity. (Yes, Oklahoma is on my list.)

  #89. Explore a random city on a road trip: Umm, yeah. Courtesy of Chase Allcott, I got to go on a Triple D adventure of random cities. Amazeballs.

  #91. Teach someone one of my favorite skills: Please refer to the birthday video in which I perform a masterful self-five. Consider that my gift to the entire team.  

In 2014, I’d like to focus on completing the following items on the list:       
3. Be a better blogger
25. Read 10 inspiring Christian books
44. Give a really generous tip
94. Watch a sunrise
33. Stop biting my fingers
53. Learn how to skateboard
69. Go to the zoo

It's amazing to me how many of the items on my list I won't finish. What's funny, is that I have every intention and desire to do so! But sometimes, sticking to a list is limiting to the moment at hand and other times, the list keeps you on track. Getting caught up in life is both glorious and distracting. I constantly have to remember that every moment has potential, some planned and others completely spontaneous. For instance, things not on the list that I consider big accomplishments in 2013: 12 weeks of Improv class, two National Monuments visited, a new state to call home and I learned how to make a Latte at home. So, while I want to complete my list, there are new things I would like to accomplish in 2014: Get another tattoo, learn to play the bass guitar, find a passion in the workplace and be like Olan Rogers.

Yours most Truly, 
Court

No comments:

Post a Comment